[Sca-cooks] question: Medieval restaurant at Pennsic

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 16:20:53 PDT 2003

> > He is very interested in learning if it would be feasible to do a
> > totally medieval food vending at Pennsic. (not this year!).  So...I know
> > we've
> > talked about this, but I don't know what the consensus was.
> >  Would people buy period food?
>
>There used to be a place that did sell meat pies and such made form period
>recipes, and I remember it being quite well patronized.  While there are
>undoubtedly some people who would be leary of it, I think there are quite a
>number
>that would welcome it.
>

> > Would he do better with a push-cart, vending
> > around the A&S tents and the battlefields?  Is it even possible for a
> > newcomer to get a food vending license?  I don't do any merchanting (I
>only
> > buy), so
> > I'm totally clueless.
>

>I have never seen a pushcart there, and I'm not sure how feasible it is
>given
>that he would have to meet all the restaurant requirements for food
>handling
>safety and such.  I mean, I know people do it in cities, I just don't know
>anything about the requirements.
>It may be possible for a newcomer to get a vending arrangement set up; what
>he needs to do is go to the main Pennsic website at PennsicWar.org and
>click on
>the link to Merchants, and get in touch with Cindy Cooper, who is incharge
>of
>that end of things.
>
> >   What about this idea: (OOP)..a pushcart selling frozen snack items
>(sort
> > of a medieval "ice-cream truck")?
>
>That's not going to happen, as the Cooper's store sells ice cream,
>popsicles,
>and such, and I don't think they will undermine their own sales...And there
>is already the place doing the snow-cone like items.
>
>Brangwayna

LOL..Brangwayna havent' you had experience with the kids doing a pushcart
for ice??  It seems to me that open market vending, even mobile vending, was
very much a part of so much of the history we clain to reclaim.
There are certainly items that could be sold from a mobile market.  Pasties,
Tart for an Ember Day, roasted meats, sausages, breads, cheeses...heck I
could go on and on!  So could any one of us.
There are a lot of camps out there that do not have a meal plan (or one as
good as House Blackstar's) that would be more than happy to partake.

Just my thoughts.
Olwen O