[Sca-cooks] question: Medieval restaurant at Pennsic

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 06:40:41 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/21/2003 7:22:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
olwentheodd at hotmail.com writes:

> LOL..Brangwayna havent' you had experience with the kids doing a pushcart
> for ice??

Ice is a pre-packaged product which, in my experience, the kids are simply
delivering for the person who asked them (and paid them) to get it.  I have
never yet seen kids who have gone to the store, bought a wagon-load of ice, and
are trying to sell it for a profit before it melts.  Selling food you made
yourself from a pushcart would be a totally different situation even from that.

> It seems to me that open market vending, even mobile vending, was
> very much a part of so much of the history we clain to reclaim.
> There are certainly items that could be sold from a mobile market.  Pasties,
>
> Tart for an Ember Day, roasted meats, sausages, breads, cheeses...heck I
> could go on and on!  So could any one of us.
> There are a lot of camps out there that do not have a meal plan (or one as
> good as House Blackstar's) that would be more than happy to partake.

Oh, I'm not denying that any of the above is true.  I'm simply saying that
running a pushcart at Pennsic with perishable foods is going to be extremely
difficult due to the need to maintain state-required levels of refrigeration and
food safety.  And I have seen a food merchant run out of Pennsic for not
maintaining those levels.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love either a stationary shop where one could buy
period food, or a push-cart.  It's just not so easy to do.

Brangwayna