[Sca-cooks] Duh

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Jul 29 04:34:48 PDT 2003

Also sprach Ana Valdés:
>Another variation of an old recipe from Ligurien, i Italy, eaten
>today in the north of Italy and in Nice, where is known as "socca".
>In Italy is known as "faina", in a dialectal word. (Outside Europe
>you can eat it in Rio de la Platas capital cities, Buenos Aires and
>Montevideo, where the Italian  inmigrants took the dish in the
>beginning of the century).
>
>Pound garbanzos and make flour of them (or alternative buy the
>chickpeas flour)
>Put the flour in a bowl and add olive oil enough to make a very thin
>dough, similar in consistence to the dough to make pancakes.
>Add salt and black pepper.
>Lay the dough in a flat oven pan and heat the oven to a very high temperature.
>Let it bake in the oven until the thin cake have a brown and crusty cover.
>Eat very warm powdered with blackpepper.

The socca recipes I've seen also call for water, along with the olive
oil. Authorities seem to differ on whether it should be paper thin or
slightly thicker. Usually the cooking method is like that of a pizza,
except the dough would be referred to in English as a batter. If you
can pour it, and cannot pick it up in your hands without tools,
that's a batter. With a couple of exceptions, but generally...

On an only marginally related note, the other big Provencale
chick-pea-based street food (you generally don't see these on
restaurant menus) would be panisse, which is a thick boiled porridge
of ground chick peas, which is spread on a plate to cool and
solidify, after which it is cut into strips and fried like French
fries, in olive oil...

Adamantius