[Sca-cooks] professional cooks-- reality check wanted

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Jul 29 09:38:19 PDT 2003

Also sprach <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>:
>Last night I was talking to someone else about portion control (the 25 lbs
>of ham went out in soup-sized bowls to keep people from pigging out-- and
>it worked, I had ham for the court board), and she broke in with "I'd just
>do the ham in pasties, it wouldn't take any more time."
>
>I said in my best 'I-get-lost-in-the-grocery-store-how-should-I-know'
>voice, "Well, maybe for you it wouldn't take any more time!" and walked
>away. :)

Assuming you did do pasties for 800 (and also assuming one per), your
25 lbs of ham allows for 1/2 ounce per portion. You could make that
work; maybe with your filling chopped and otherwise prepped and about
50 pounds of pastry set up the previous day, you could spend a day
with two or three friends making 800, or 1000, little turnovers and
freezing them. (Buy a tortilla press for $15. I think I now own
three.) I think this would minimize the extra work as well as maybe
saving you some of the cost of preprepped ingredients. This is not to
say that it's necessarily worth the extra effort, I'm just saying you
could do it, assembly-line fashion. Alternately, using the same basic
plan, make long flat rolls, like Fig Newtons, and slice into chunks.
And then ixnae on the ortilla-tae essprae.

Everybody's priorities are different.

And where the heck were all these frou-frou people when the event had
200 attendees???

Adamantius