[Sca-cooks] professional cooks-- reality check wanted

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 29 11:32:01 PDT 2003

>Also sprach Olwen the Odd:
>>>I do think either Le Menagier or Taillevent has a recipe for what amounts
>>>to a terrine, essentially a meat pie made in a pot instead of a crust. I
>>>don't think it's done with liver, though. You might also investigate the
>>>[I think] 15th-century English sources for meat stuffings cooked in
>>>flowerpots, sacks, etc., then removed and glazed to look like their
>>>original containers.
>>>
>>>Adamantius
>>
>>I would like to read about some of these sources for the illusion meat
>>stuffings.  Anyone have any pointers on where to go?
>>Olwen
>
>As I say, one of the 15th-century English sources, I assume one of the
>manuscripts gathered in the Austin edition "Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery
>Books", or maybe it is "Curye On Inglysch" has a series of recipes all
>based on the same stuffing, done in the form of pottes, and sac wis
>("sack-wise", etc.).
>
>Okay, my error. I just checked, and it's in the Forme of Cury, near the
>end, IIRC. 14th century. It involves ground pork liver, eggs, spice powder,
>and currants. This same mixture is then used to make pommes dorre (golden
>apples/oranges?), the stuffing and body support for cockagrys, also calling
>for a cock and a piglet, followed by urchins, pots and sacks.
>
>Maybe someone else has more specifics on the French recipe for making a
>pasty in a pot?
>
>Adamantius

Thank you for checking.  Forme of Cury is not one of books I own.  I suppose
I may have to buy a copy at Pennsic, provided I have any money left after
getting my car out of the shop.
BTW, would you guys put the lite in the window in hopes that *this* mechanic
can find and fix the problem we have been trying to identify for two months.
  I'd hate to die trying to get to Pennsic and I'm leaving Saturday.
Thanks!
Olwen