[Sca-cooks] thanks from Phillipa

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Tue Jul 29 14:05:19 PDT 2003

> > Yes, Mishala, Squid is treif. And you are not spelling it wrong,
as......
> > senior moment,,,,,, forgive me. Who said, 'transliteration can be
spelled
> > however...' it is a transliterated word.
>
> That was I.  That's the sort of think you pick up in news biz,
particularly in
> the past couple decades with so much news from the Middle East where they
don't
> seem to care about standardized Roman Alphabet spelling.  At least the
Chinese
> made some effort... sigh.

Actually, the Israelis do have an "official" transliteration code, because
they communicate in English so much. However, there is also the
"linguistic/phonemic" transliteration scheme, which is different (kaf and
kuf are, respectively, k and q).

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: Beneath the calm, professional exterior of the SCA, lurk all the
subtle, interpersonal dynamics of a nursery school at recess. (Adapted from
Gary Trudeau, via Corun MacAnndra & Baron Tibor of Rock Valley),
"Silverwing's Laws"