[Sca-cooks] Chickpeas, was Duh

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jul 30 07:55:39 PDT 2003

Also sprach Sharon Gordon:
>  >Yeah, you'd think, with that name, huh? But Chez Panisse is supposed
>to be one of the greatest restaurants in the history of the field.
>(I've never been there.) And you were disappointed by that?
>
>***I was at a gathering where she volunteered to do the food for us.  Every
>dish was one interesting delicious fresh local food delight after another.
>She has a real gift for combining foods at the peak of their ripeness.  The
>dishes were beautiful too.  Each day there were different things from the
>season's bounty.  To me she's like a Michaelangelo of food.
>
>I haven't had a chance to eat at her restaurant, but I'd very much like to.
>
>Sharon
>gordonse at one.net

It's great to have legendary figures around you, sometimes. Here you
folks were, getting to meet and/or eat the cooking of one of the
great luminaries of culinary history. In an age when the [supposed]
best and highest-paid American chefs were still doing classical
French cuisine, and a little on the heavy side of it, too, Alice
Waters took a look at Escoffier and at mother Earth, decided which
was more powerful, and went with it.

Me, I just sent my kid to a day care center next door to the empty
mansion of a mad old man who used to shower in his back yard, some
guy named James Beard.

Oh, and I apparently cooked part of Craig Claiborne's last meal on
this earth (but, as far as I know, did not kill him). Am I famous?

Adamantius