[Sca-cooks] OT - A little history

Thu Jul 31 14:34:14 PDT 2003

The quote is:

"In Spain and those hot Regions they use to eate the Apples prepared and
boiled with pepper, salt and oyle: but they yeeld very little nourishment to
the body, and the same naught and corrupt.  Likewise, they doe eate the
Apples with oile, vinegre and pepper mixed together for sauce to their meat,
even as we in these cold countries doe Mustard."

One does need to keep in mind that Gerard was a loyal subject of Elizabeth
I, who couldn't resist taking a shot at the Popish Dons.

Castore Durante in his Herbario nuovo (1585), presumable comments, "They are
eaten the same way as eggplants, with pepper, salt and oil..."

Bear