[Sca-cooks] OT - A little history

Thu Jul 31 14:25:25 PDT 2003

Snopes is debunking some "historical facts."  When debunking, failing to
have the details correct is a failure to properly make the case.

One of the things that did not get posted was the title of the collection,
"Life in the 1500's," so Pre-Columbian is not really and issue.  All of the
original "facts" may presumed to be Post-Columbian.

The tomato was originally described in 1544 by Pier Andrea Mattioli as "Mala
aurea" or "golden apples."  He later changed this description to "Mala
insana" or "unhealthy apples."  I suspect that it is Mattioli, who made
tomatoes unpopular in Europe.  One source states that there is a reference
to "Poma amoris" (love apples) in Rembert Dodoens' Cruydeboeck (1554) where
he connects them and Mala insana and states they are poisonous.   Since the
source is questionable and I haven't verfied the reference, I'll take it
with a grain of salt.

Jefferson grew tomatoes at Monticello which he brought back from Europe on
one of his trips there (I suspect 1785 when he was minister to France,
although some sources place it earlier).  He presumably ate some picked from
the vine publicly in Lynchburg, Viginia while he was President.  As for
serving them to his guests, I haven't seen any definitive proof.

In any event, they didn't come into general use in the U.S. until the 19th
Century (advice on preparing tomatoes appears in Godey's Lady's Book around
1860).

Bear