[Sca-cooks] Re: [spca-wascaerfrig] Age of Iron- what fun ;-)

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Jun 2 19:25:03 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 08:29 PM, Phlip wrote:
> At 10 PM, all the electricity went out. Unbeknownst to any of us, the
> local
> power company had chosen that evening for a planned power outage.
A "planned" power outage? I've never heard of such a thing. Must be a
rural or a northern thing.
> We had a marvelous time. Since we were near the "green coal area", and
> I had
Green coal is a soft coal with a lot of impurities?
> planned to be there, and consequently had chosen my equipment to help
> show
> how you could get set up inexpensively,
Was this because it was green coal? Or just that there was coal readily
available, so you thought folks in the area might want to take
advantage of that and get set up?
> we discussed how you could set up
> with a brake drum forge and a RR track anvil, and Aaron showed off his
> forge, made of a defunct gas grill.
Oh? Could you give me some more details on using a defunct gas grill as
a forge? I've seen info on using a brake drum (it's in the Florilegium
:-) ) but I happen to have a non-working gas grill sitting on my patio
that I forgot to put out on the last large item garbage pickup day.
> (I was mostly piddling around- it was pretty cold and wet, and I'm
> not a smith and a cook because I dislike heat- think Trimaris could
> use a
> smithing demo, in, say, July?) (Trimaris is the Kingdom in Florida,
> for my
> non-SCA friends.)
How about Atenveldt (specifically Phoenix) in July?
> We had a beautiful set up by a couple of guys doing an historical
> reproduction of a Viking forge. They aren't SCA (yet ;-), but their
> set up
> was positively inspiring ;-) I WILL have a set up like that soon, from
> paired single lung bellows, to "sand pit" forge, to stake anvils.
Paired so when one is "inhaling" the other is "exhaling"? I assume you
need two different people, one on each bellows? In addition to the
smith(s)?
> Pulled up to pay at the the tollbooth at the Massachusetts Turnpike,
> and got
> rear-ended by a semi....sigh. Another set of lights- makes my
> 5th....told me
> roommate, Rob, to get me two sets- figure I might as well have a
> spare, the
> way I'm going through threm....
We're just glad you weren't hurt. I assume the trucker (or truck
company) is paying for this?
> Phlip, NOT frigid, by choice....
What a difference one little comma makes... :-)
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com