[Sca-cooks] Naramza

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 13 20:09:31 PDT 2003

Greetings to the list!

I am trying to (slowly) translate the 17th century romanian cookbook made
available by His Grace Cariadoc, and I an puzzled about the meaning of the
word 'naramza'. I often find it in an either/or combination with 'lamae'
(odd spelling for lemon) which leads me to suspect it might be some kind of
bitter orange. As the word might possibly have a turkish or arabic origin I
thought I'd ask for the help of this list. (That and the fact that my
Romanian is very, very lousy :-))

for those who do speak Romanian, my apologies for the lack of accents on
the proper syllables :-)

Petru 'cel Paros' Voda
Shire of L'Ile du Dragon Dormant