[Sca-cooks] Other Sekanjabin like period drinks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 16 19:29:37 PDT 2003

Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
> Has anyone tried making drink syrups without the vinegar? How did it
> go?
Yes, I have. They were fine, although I don't think they would keep as
long. I made mine for a Crown luncheon, so I didn't end up keeping it
very long.
> I do lemon juice in my ginger syrup for the extra fillip of acid to
> make
> it keep better, but notice that my ginger syrup keeps a lot better than
> plain lemon syrup.
Sekanjabin is only one of the various vinegar/sugar syrup based period
drinks and there are those beverages without the vinegar as well. Most
folks are only familar with Sekanjabin and that mainly because of
Master Cariadoc's promotion of it. There are a number of other similar
period drink recipes, again because of Master Cariadoc's work that
would be nice to work with. Unfortunately, when I was looking at these
for the Crown luncheon I mentioned, many used items that were
unfamiliar to me or if I recognised them I had no idea of where to get
them. Perhaps I ought to post them here for discussion? It would be
nice to see these other beverages used throughout the Known World. The
recipes and other info are in this file in the BEVERAGES section of the
Florilegium and probably on Cariadoc's website.
jalabs-msg        (64K)  7/22/02    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                        as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint
Drink).
Stefan