[Sca-cooks] New Resource

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 19 16:05:07 PDT 2003

Just got this on our local list, I thought it may prove useful.  Sorry
for the duplicate postings, but this looks like it will eventually be an
extremely useful site, so I just had to share.
Faerisa

Hi all,

Just ran across this resource at the Pierpont Morgan Library's
website.

It's called "Corsair" and is a catalog of the library's medieval and
renaissance manuscripts, books and pictures:

"CORSAIR is a comprehensive list of all the items owned by The
Pierpont Morgan Library. This includes material traditionally found
in library collections (printed books and serials, manuscripts,
music) and material traditionally found in museum collections
(illuminated manuscripts, drawings and prints, ancient Near Eastern
seals, and art objects). With a single search, a user can find
records for books, manuscripts, drawings, and objects associated with
a specific individual, or created in a specific place, or at a
specific time. A detailed description of the collections will be
available here in the near future."

The items themselves haven't been scanned, but according to the FAQ,
"In the near future, CORSAIR will offer users access to thousands of
images from its renowned collection of medieval and Renaissance
manuscripts"

They have some exhibit images online though, incl. a nice illuminated
bible.

If you're doing in-depth research, it looks like a  fantastic
resource.

 here' s the URL for the Morgan library:

http://corsair.morganlibrary.org

cheers,
Berengaria

p.s. the physical library is located in New York and is closed for
renovations until 2006.

Betty Braaksma
Coordinator of Information Literacy
University of Manitoba Libraries
"An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest" - Benjamin
Franklin