[Sca-cooks] The more things are different, the more they are the same

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Sun Jun 1 17:03:43 PDT 2003

At 04:05 PM 6/1/2003,Susan Fox-Davis said something like:

>ObFood:  2nd season episode, "A Distant Star," where Dr. Franklin puts all the
>other officers on various dietary regimens for their health, which they
>resist.  Franklin chases Garibaldi all over the station with rumors of the
>latter's indulgence in bagna cauda, to find when he finally catches up
>with him
>that this is what his father [a great cook] used to make for him for his
>birthday.  What can the doc do but not only allow it but share it?
>
>The sharing of food has always been an important party of human ritual
>behavior, and may it always be so.
>
>Selene Susan

And wasn't there another show where there was discussion on swedish
meatballs, and how just about every culture has some form of them?  I've
noticed that there's more than a grain of truth in that. Everybody has some
form of chopped up meat in little gobbets floating in a creamy-ish sauce.

Have you ever noticed that just about every culture also uses garlic?  I
don't think the Eskimo don't, but their growing season kind of stinks a
lot.  Did the viking sorts have garlic?

Regards,
Maggie MacD.