[Sca-cooks] Sabrina Welserin / Cariadoc or Elizabeth please read!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 23:37:25 PDT 2003

--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
wrote:
> I believe you will find Sabina is a variant of
> Sabrina.  The family name is
> actually Welser, and I believe the Welserin
> means something on the order of
> "of the Welsers."  Unfortunately, Middle German
> grammar is not a strong
> suit.
>
> Bear

I really don't think so.  I don't have a baby
name book handy, but I did find this website and
this coincides with what I remember of the two
names:

SABINA   f   English, Italian, Spanish,
Portuguese, Romanian, Polish, Czech
Feminine form of Sabinus, a Roman cognomen
meaning "Sabine woman" in Latin. The Sabines were
an ancient people who lived in central Italy,
their lands eventually taken over by the Romans
after several wars. According to legend, the
Romans abducted several Sabine women during a
raid. When the men came to rescue them, the women
were able to make peace between the two groups.

SABRINA   f   English, Italian
Pronounced: sa-BREEN-a