Vanilla Re: [Sca-cooks] Castellan Feast, 2003...LONG

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jun 2 05:56:28 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Leah A. Montgomery wrote:

> Wow! Your first feast. What excitement! Sounds like everything went
> swimmingly though, with very few problems. Congratulations. My one and only
> comment....Vanilla is not period?? That is sad. Was it a New World food?

Yup, the vanilla orchid is from South/Central America as I recall, and in
fact Vanilla didn't come into common use until the 1800s because it wasn't
until then that people worked out a way to hand-pollinate the flowers to
increase yield to commercial quantities.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." -- James Quinn