[Sca-cooks] the seduction of Johnnae and other worldly matters

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jun 3 11:38:06 PDT 2003

The rain held off and the food was free. It was very lowkey.
They were in a parking lot in front of the store grilling
up Johnsonville Brats and chicken wings. Weber is supplying
the grills. They had this absolutely huge Weber kettle charcoal
grill. Then they also had a 6 burner Weber Summit gas grill that
has a separate flame under a smoker basket and the side burner.
They said they would make good money just selling the grills.
 I'm not sure thatthe one would even fit in my garage. Yes, They are
touring in a small bus that is painted yellow and says "HONK
if you love BBQ" and " Have Tongs, Will Travel."

It took awhile to
talk to the right Borders' person (the PR person in charge of the
appearance) about the fact that they had booked the author
and did not have any hardback copies of the new cookbook.
They did have 399 paperback copies though.
I told her I really hated to go down the street and see if Barnes &
Noble had it in their store and bring a copy back.
Oh no, she says, we should. She went back inside and attacked
an unopened shipment and pulled me out a hardback copy. They had
just arrived this am. So then of course
Steve Raichlen has not even seen the new book in hardcover, so
he has to take a minute when signing it to actually look it over.
(He said that the paperback copies started showing up the end
of last week and that Ann Arbor was the first town with an actual
display of the book in the store.)
Well, anyway I got everything signed and the new book is a hefty
774 pages and weighs maybe 4.5 pounds. Looks good.

Oh and I also got to meet the Detroit Free Press Test Kitchen
Reporter and talk to her. She interviewed me about what I thought
about his books.

All in all, it was fun.

Johnnae llyn Lewis       Johnna Holloway

Iasmin deCordoba wrote:
And my tongue-in-cheek response to that is, of course, that I suspect
anyone who said "hey Johnnae, cookbooks over here!" would be accused of
the same! :)