OT OOP Re: [Sca-cooks] cooks and books

Diana Skaggs liadan at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 4 13:04:29 PDT 2003

OK, so I'm an all 'round packrat.  Licorice disks, CDs, DVDs, videos, books, cassettes, fabrics & bric-a-brac, kitchen gadgets, wacky dishes.  I couldn't wait to turn 12 so I could check out books from the adult part of the library.  My proudest day as a parent was when a teacher told me, "Your son doesn't need to be in public school.  When he wants to know something, he goes to the library and looks it up." Unfortunately, she wasn't happy, because he didn't give a rat's a** about what she was teaching. I think he was 8 or 9-years-old at the time.

Then there was the teacher he disputed in class about something she taught from the textbook.  He went to the library and brought two references in disagreement with the text she was teaching from.  She called me for a Parent Conference and told me I had to MAKE him respect her.  Excuse me? After I collected all the facts, read the text and the references, I asked her why she didn't just explain that there were differing ideas on the subject and why the school was teaching a particular theory.  Problem was, until Sean pointed it out, she didn't know.  I can see why Sean was a "difficult" student.

Liadan - also an underachiever at school

"Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US> wrote:
It is not necessarily the size of the collection, but the quality of it and
whether it is adequate for your needs.

Much of my collection wasn't expensive (at least until the last few years),
being bought off remainder tables and at various book sales. It is
extensive because of the number of years I put into it and valuable in the
aggregate due to selection and appreciation.

I've never limited my reading to my collection. By third grade, I was
reading out the Elmendorf AFB library and the only challenge I ever had
about my choice of reading material was about sixth grade, when a new
librarian suggested that I leave the adult fiction and go look in something
more appropriate, like the teenage books. I gave her one of my patented
quizzical looks and continued with my browsing. I later found out the other
librarians suggested leaving me to my browsing, as they knew I was reading
one to two books a day and had already been through the teen collection and
all the SF in the library.

Being broke, I funded my collecting with pop bottle deposits and odd jobs,
then in seventh and eighth grade, I was doing mail order book sales through
the now defunct Fantasy Collector, buying collectables that weren't selling
well in Seattle/Tacoma used bookstores and flogging them to Collectors
across the country.

I tend to be monomanical on books. It's my wife that goes for the fabric.

Bear