[Sca-cooks] OOP: Vanilla Extract

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 7 19:42:12 PDT 2003

First reference, Bernardino de Sahagun, General History of the Things of New
Spain (1560), wherein he reports that the Aztecs mixed vanilla (tlixochitl)
with choclate.  I believe Clusius references it in his Herbal of 1602(?).

Vanilla first appears in English in the 17th Century and it's first
reference in cookery appears in Hannah Glasse's Art of Cookery (1756).

Vanilla extract seems to date from around 1875 (although it may be earlier)
with the first of the vanilla substitutes.  Synthetic vanilla is first
processed about 1929.

Bear