[Sca-cooks] Suggestions for camp food...

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Mon Jun 9 17:12:33 PDT 2003

Normally, I marinate meat strips, add some veggies and maybe dried fruits,
and serve the whole mess over rice, or make up some beans and rice with cold
or hot fresh veggies on the side, but the last couple of events, I've just
been too busy, and this one the meat strips are out.

*****
I'd do this and put the marinated meat strips in your half of the food and
let him grill a sausage to add to his.

Other options could be:

Much healthier homemade sausages, or even two versions of the sausage with
one being a low salt version for you.
Two completely different sets of food.
Salads with grilled marinated chicken (period recipes combined together or
modern as desired)
Fresh or baked apples for breakfast with homemade bread made at home and
cheese
Raisin nut bread (think granola in a bread for hearty food content) and
boiled eggs for breakfast

To me though there is a larger issue here.  You are dealing with a person
who seems to have an unhealthy addiction to high fat, high salt, high cancer
causing and cardiovascular system damaging chemical food made
mostly(commercially) from the unhealthiest parts of animals.  This alone is
difficult enough from the viewpoint of how the choice to damage one's health
affects a relationship.  And he also chooses to be demandingly picky, and
has chosen not to acquire good adult level cooking skills.  (And here I mean
good basic cooking skills...no expectations that someone would have the vast
depth and breadth of many people on this list.)  On the positive side, it
seems that if you spend many hours doing the organizing, prep work, and
advance cooking, he is willing to warm up your food for you which means that
you can continue at the forge.  To me a balance of you doing 90% of the work
or so, and your friend doing 10% plus adding on all the picky food
restrictions seems like a rough road.  Is there another friend who could
help out who has good cooking skills, and might make the labor of feeding
you and some of the other teachers or demonstrators their contribution to
the event, perhaps even as a class or demo if that is feasible?  And maybe
your friend could spend part of his time doing something where his skills
are strong, and part of his time serving as an apprentice to your cooking
friend to upgrade his cooking skills and to help out there as well assuming
both are willing.  This scenario would fix the short term and some of the
long term aspects of the situation.

Sharon
gordonse at one.net