[Sca-cooks] Easy cordial recipe request

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 15 06:36:23 PDT 2003

This is our recipe for Sekanjabin -- I got it from someone in Bright Hills,
and I don't know how much it's mutated from Cariadoc's original, but it
seems like everyone uses a variation of this same recipe.

Sekanjabin
Persian Mint Drink

4 cups (2 pounds) white sugar
2½ cups water
1 cup good vinegar -- white wine, red wine, cider etc.
1/4 cup dried mint (2 tablespoons each spearmint and peppermint is good)

Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce
heat to a simmer and add the vinegar. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the mint. Cool. Strain out the
mint leaves. Transfer the syrup to a storage container. It does not need
refrigeration (under most circumstances). Makes about 1 quart of syrup.

To serve, dilute the syrup with water to taste. We use 1 tablespoon per cup
or 1 cup per gallon, and lot of people who usually don't like Sekanjabin
seem to like it mixed very light like this. And it's economical.

Cynara