[Sca-cooks] Easy cordial recipe request

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Jun 15 13:27:41 PDT 2003

Cynara wrote:

>This is our recipe for Sekanjabin -- I got it from someone in Bright Hills,
>and I don't know how much it's mutated from Cariadoc's original, but it
>seems like everyone uses a variation of this same recipe.

Actually, it is Claudia Rodin's recipe, from her Middle Eastern cookbook.

>Sekanjabin
>Persian Mint Drink
>
>4 cups (2 pounds) white sugar
>2½ cups water

I assume this is two and a half--it got to us with a pi symbol.

>1 cup good vinegar -- white wine, red wine, cider etc.
>1/4 cup dried mint (2 tablespoons each spearmint and peppermint is good)

Six sprigs of fresh mint is what the original said; I interpret a
sprig as a 6-inch stalk.

>Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce
>heat to a simmer and add the vinegar. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring
>occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the mint. Cool. Strain out the
>mint leaves. Transfer the syrup to a storage container. It does not need
>refrigeration (under most circumstances). Makes about 1 quart of syrup.
>
>To serve, dilute the syrup with water to taste. We use 1 tablespoon per cup
>or 1 cup per gallon, and lot of people who usually don't like Sekanjabin
>seem to like it mixed very light like this. And it's economical.
>
>Cynara

I like it one part in eight or ten, or even a little more dilute if
it is being served to thirsty fighters. My lord prefers it stronger,
and I think that when it has been served me  in a modern Persian
restaurant, it has been stronger.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook