[Sca-cooks] Easy cordial recipe request

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Jun 15 16:51:50 PDT 2003

Here's another one for you, Stefan. Got the idea from EK List, from Baron
Ernst von Kitzingen.

> At 07:07 PM 9/9/2002 -0400, Phlip wrote:

> Not sure how Baron Ernst makes his, but I make mine simply by taking some
> dried hot peppers (usually chipotles) and putting them into a bottle of
> vodka for a week or so,

OK, after about a half dozen private, emails here's the deal...

Take a tablespoon each of about 5 different peppercorns, same of galengale
and grains of paradise. Suspend them in about a quart of a high quality
vodka and wait about a week.

Remove the spices and give to Liam when he least expects it.

I named mine for King Bjorn - Hair To The Throne.

Ernst

Of course, I can't leave well enough alone. In addition to the peppercorns,
galingale, and grains of paradise, I added cubebs, long pepper, and fresh
ginger in a half gallon jug of vodka. It was the "fire" cordial I donated
for the Fire course of the Tavern feast, although for the Yankee
lightweights, I mixed it 50/50 with more fresh vodka.

I now keep it on hand by my forge of an evening, and call it my
"Blacksmith's Cordial"- I think it's very tasty, alternated with sips of
canoe beer.

Still needs just a dab of added richness in the mix. Thinking about
switching to brandy, rather than vodka, for the alcohol base....

Phlip

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,