Comfits Re: [Sca-cooks] grains of paradise

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jun 17 06:29:10 PDT 2003

> How big did Prudence get her coriander comfits? Plat says they should
> be as big as peas, but I've never been able to get them that large
> before they became "rough and ragged", and began forming sugar balls of
> their own, independent of the seeds.

Prudence didn't coat hers very thoroughly-- they weren't even white. I
haven't tried making them myself, and I also haven't tried the method that
she used-- I use the pour-syrup-and-mix-madly method.

> On keeping them dry. It may sound crazy, but have you considered a
> cloth-lined, air-tight container, with a packet or two of silica gel
> tucked under the cloth? You might also pack them in powdered sugar, and
> brush it off before presentation. But for Pennsic, I would definitely
> consider the silica gel packets.

*nod*
I'm also worried about keeping them cool so they don't melt into a mass of
sugar...

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"We made a vow/we'd always be friends
How could we know/ that promises end?" Eric Clapton