[Sca-cooks] OT: Camping at Pennsic

Rosine nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Tue Jun 17 07:40:08 PDT 2003

> > ok, i have never been in singles camping.. where is it?
> > Kirsten
>
> Various places throughout Pennsic, wherever they get a chunk
> of block that they can't fit a pre-regged camp into.  They should
> all be marked on the map at the gate, and often the people running
> the gate have a list of where they are.
>  They are first come, first served, so you can't guarentee which ones
> might still have space.
>
> Brangwayna

   The Land Staff usually try to have one or two spaces on the Serengeti set
aside for single-camping. I'd email them and ask if that's in their plans
for this year. With Viscount Edward running it, I'd wager that it is - he's
aware that folks who aren't in groups are sometimes "mobility stressed" and
need to be closer to the center of things... I can tell you that the good
spots go fast and that the Land staff has made a practise, in the last few
years, of opening select blocks (usually one "quiet hours", one "standard
noise" and one "in the trees") until those blocks are full and then opening
more - so latecomers aren't all stuck out in the boonies. Extra maps may or
may not be at the Troll Booth (that depends on the level of argument that
the land deputies have to deal with in regards to pre-reg'd groups and
getting them settled so that they have the spare time to bring a map to the
Troll booth), but there's nearly always a marked map at the Map tent (just
down the road from the Troll and usually on the left, past the Herald's
tent- it's been the same green&white striped 8x8 Grimm's tent for three
years or more) as well as someone from the Land Staff manning a table there
during peak hours.
   Going to the Map tent first would be a boon to the Troll staff, who
usually have no more idea than you as to what is available and who need to
devote their time (if it's busy) to processing folks through the booth....
they'll be happy to help if they can, but mostly - they don't know! The map
tent is a better bet. And you don't get shooed along by the Cooper parking
guys while you debate your camp-spot choices. (You can always come back to
the Troll and ask for help if you can't figure out what's what at the Map
tent. If all else fails, they'll radio the land staff.)

   Definitely, it's worth sending the land staff an email in advance for
guidance. They're nice folks and are very accommodating.

Rosine
EX-Troll