[Sca-cooks] Miscellaneous Sugar Stuff

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 11:26:49 PDT 2003

>On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 08:50 AM, Elise Fleming wrote:
>
>>Stefan's comment about drinking from a sugar paste goblet before it
>>disintegrates brings up an experiment on the dissolvablility of
>>sugar paste.  I dropped a piece of well-dried, broken sugar paste
>>(about 1/8 inch thick) into a glass of water.  Hours later it was
>>still there, inviolate.  I might hypothesize that if the sugar paste
>>were very thin and not terribly dry, it might dissolve with a hot
>>liquid, but cold liquids can probably be used with impunity.  If
>>it's dry enough to hold its shape, you could use it during a banquet
>>and not have to hasten your drinking.  Period sources warn to keep
>>hot things away from the sugar paste.
>
>I've tried making a sotelty consisting of sugar paste shells filled
>with almond-milk based pudding.  While they looked great, the shells
>went all soft and melty overnight and the result was inedibly messy.
>The shells had been dry when they were filled, but the pudding was
>still slightly warm.  I may try again later and see if cooling the
>pudding in a mold ahead of time (and maybe cooking it longer) will help
>things hold together longer.
>
>I've put a picture (220kb) of a couple of them (just before completely
>melting) online:
>
>	http://www.medievalcookery.com/images/eggs.jpg
>
>- Doc

Doc, these are fabulous!!  Where on earth did you come up with the idea?
And recipes??  Reading your description is so much less exciting than seeing
the picture.  I would have never guessed they were eggs.  The yellow part is
the almond milk pudding part?  What is the clear part?  The thinness of the
shell may have come into play too.  And leaving it in that long.  Overnight?
  Any recipe or discussion I have read about sugarplate allows that you can
put liquid or foodstuffs on/in it for fairly short lengths of time.  I have
had success at a dinner party with dessert bowls and plates and cordial
glasses.
Olwen