[Sca-cooks] Miscellaneous Sugar Stuff

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Tue Jun 17 12:34:38 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 02:26 PM, Olwen the Odd wrote:

>> I've put a picture (220kb) of a couple of them (just before completely
>> melting) online:
>>
>> 	http://www.medievalcookery.com/images/eggs.jpg
>
> Doc, these are fabulous!!  Where on earth did you come up with the
> idea?
> And recipes??  Reading your description is so much less exciting than
> seeing
> the picture.  I would have never guessed they were eggs.  The yellow
> part is
> the almond milk pudding part?  What is the clear part?  The thinness
> of the
> shell may have come into play too.  And leaving it in that long.
> Overnight?
>  Any recipe or discussion I have read about sugarplate allows that you
> can
> put liquid or foodstuffs on/in it for fairly short lengths of time.  I
> have
> had success at a dinner party with dessert bowls and plates and cordial
> glasses.

Thanks!

The idea came from several places:  1. a reference I came across quite
a while back about mock eggs for lent made out of fish,  2. a sugar
paste workshop given by Mistress Rosamund,  and 3. testing out the
recipe for "Lenten Slices"  [
http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/lenten.html ].

To answer your (and Kerri's) question, both the "whites" and the
"yolks" are almond milk pudding (see the Lenten Slices recipe) - with
the yolks being colored with ground saffron.  I also sprinkled a pinch
of sandalwood over the top to look like paprika, but it doesn't show in
the picture.  I wanted the shells to be as close to real eggshells as
possible, hence the thinness.  I'll do some more experimenting with it
some time in the future and see what I can work out - it's just too
good a sotelty to let go.

- Doc