[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Computer Help

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Jun 18 01:58:33 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 09:23  PM, Robert Downie wrote:

> Does anyone know if it's possible to set up keyboard such that one can
> add an
> accent mark to an already typed letter?  I've been poking around in
> our Word 97
> program and all I came up with were inividual characters that already
> incorporate the symbol.
>
> The reason I ask, is because I'm now in possesion of a copy of the
> original
> text of the Portuguese Cookbook I've been translating, I  hope to be
> able to
> type the original wording.  Unfortunately, because it's a 15th Centuy
> variant
> of the language, a lot of the letter/accent combinations are no longer
> standard
> (anyone ever see a "Q" with a "~ til" on it before?).  Just like Old
> English
> versus modern English, it make sense phonetically but MAN is it a pain
> to type!

I can sympathize with the difficulties of typing even Middle English,
so I can imagine what you're going through. Probably there's a way to
set up some kind of macros in MS Word that'll make it easier. If you go
to this page, you may find something useful:

http://www.sctxcompclub.org/specialtopics/fonts.htm

There are a lot of hits from Google on the word string --not the
phrase-- 'specialty characters Windows'.

More specific than that I cannot get, I'm afraid. After my experiences
of the past couple of weeks explaining how easy this is to do on a
Macintosh would only sound vindictive. I suppose it would serve me
right if it turned out to be completely different, and really hard, in
OS X.

Adamantius