[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Computer Help

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 17 20:17:12 PDT 2003

The character is probably a Q with a macron rather than a tilde.  It is a
Latin abbreviation for "quan" used in Medieval Portuguese.

There is a thing called the Portuguese Medieval Font Project, which has
developed a Unicode font for working with old Portuguese transcriptions.  If
you would like and can send you the PDF describing what they are up to.

Bear

>Does anyone know if it's possible to set up keyboard such that one can add
an
>accent mark to an already typed letter?  I've been poking around in our
Word 97
>program and all I came up with were inividual characters that already
>incorporate the symbol.
>
>The reason I ask, is because I'm now in possesion of a copy of the original
>text of the Portuguese Cookbook I've been translating, I  hope to be able
>type the original wording.  Unfortunately, because it's a 15th Centuy
variant
>of the language, a lot of the letter/accent combinations are no longer
standard
>(anyone ever see a "Q" with a "~ til" on it before?).  Just like Old
English