[Sca-cooks] Does anyone know anything about this book

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jun 20 05:52:47 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/19/2003 4:02:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
doc at medievalcookery.com writes:

> >don't want to bid if it's not a good source.
> >
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/
> >eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3527409310&category=11108
>

> From the list archives:
>
> >Traveling Dysshes review

OH, it's for Traveling Dyshes!  I read this offline and hadn't yet gotten a
chance to go back on and check the link.

Traveling Dishes in a bit inconsistent, in my opinion.  The beginning stuff
about period/nonperiod foodstuffs and so forth, is pretty good, while the
recipes themselves are a bit of a mishmosh (not surprising, as they are submitted
by a variety of cooks) - some very good, some taken from originals but highly
adapted, and some with no obvious medieval forebears.  I know, for example, in
my copy that there is one recipe which claims to be a simplification of one
from the Miscellany.  When I actually looked up the recipe of that name in the
Miscellany, it's not the same one; the one in Traveling Dyshes is for chicken
and the one in the Miscellany with the same name is for fish or crab, as I
recall!  I eventually found the one they were working off of, and "simplification"
is quite accurate, as in dropping a number of steps and ingredients, and
probably coming up with something that really doesn't resemble the original.  It's
good, though :-)
Now, I should mention that I have a first edition.  I have not looked closely
at the second edition and it may or may not be better.

Brangwayna