[Sca-cooks] Cheese Question

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Jun 21 17:17:05 PDT 2003

I make Queso Blanco with vinegar.  I take a gallon of whole milk
(sometimes with an additional pint of heavy cream), and heat it to 180
degrees Fahrenheit, where I "hold" it for a few minutes.  I then take it
off the heat, and carefully stir in a quarter to a third of a cup of
real cider vinegar.  It'll curdle fairly fast. At this point, I pour it
carefully into a cheesecloth or muslin-lined sieve (same one I use for
pasta, actually), and let most of the whey drain out.  While it's still
softish, I can add herbs, flavorings, salt, etc.  I then tie up the
corners of the cloth, like a hobo kerchief, and hang the whole thing to
drip over the sink overnight.  Each gallon of milk will make a couple of
pounds of fresh cheese.
I've only tried the lemon version a couple of times, and found it too
tart for ordinary purposes, but YMMV, of course.
--maire