[Sca-cooks] Cheese Question

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sun Jun 22 13:03:04 PDT 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> I make Queso Blanco with vinegar.  I take a gallon of whole milk
> (sometimes with an additional pint of heavy cream), and heat it to 180
> degrees Fahrenheit, where I "hold" it for a few minutes.  I then take it
> off the heat, and carefully stir in a quarter to a third of a cup of
> real cider vinegar.  It'll curdle fairly fast. At this point, I pour it
> carefully into a cheesecloth or muslin-lined sieve (same one I use for

I found that flour-sack towels are *perfect* or mostly so, for making
cheese. They drain beautifully and are usually large enough that you can
do the hobo thing with ease. And they come already hemmed. :-)

The ones from Wal-Mart were ok, the ones from Bed, Bath, and Beyond were
better, but more expensive.

Margaret