[Sca-cooks] Cheese Question

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 22 07:32:13 PDT 2003

What I would recommend is that you try the recipe with several different kinds of soft cheese and see what works best. The last time I needed a soft cheese, I tested home-made vinegar cheese, ricotta, cream cheese, cottage cheese run through a blender, mascarpone, and quark. Each one gave a different result.

Lemon and vinegar cheese are easy to make. If you use too much or too strong an acid they can turn out sour, and the lemon cheese has a definite lemon taste which won't work in some recipes. Also if you get the milk too hot the cheese can go chewy.

You can use the whey in baking, and for this purpose it freezes well. It does change the texture of the bread a bit but it's an easy way to make a sort of mock sour dough.

If you're really interested in making cheese, look for a copy of "Home Cheese Making" by Ricki Carroll or her earlier book "Cheesemaking Made Easy." Also check out cheese cultures and cheesemaking supplies at New England Cheesemaking Supply (Ricki's company) at www.cheesemaking.com Their direct-set cultures are extremely easy to use. There are other suppliers but this is the one I use.

Cynara