[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 1, Issue 3544

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Jun 22 16:07:52 PDT 2003

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 06:10  PM, a5foil wrote:

> This would have to be raw (non-pasteurized) milk. Pasteurized milk will
> spoil but not sour.

Which is why you add a starter such as yogurt, sour buttermilk, or even
use a wooden vat impregnated with the appropriate bacteria.

Actually, if I had to avoid the kind of milk that doesn't easily make
decent cheese, it would be homogenized milk, whose fats have been
emulsified into the suspension, and act as a shortening, making for
soft curds that don't easily hold together. Even this is surmountable
with chemical additives, but then we're getting into major OOP
territory.

I mention this only because some of us do have to buy milk in cartons
to do this, and it would be bad to have people believing that making
cheese from this kind of milk is impossible.

>  So if you are lucky enough to have the real thing, this
> would be worth a try.

No argument there.

> And BTW do *not* try to make cheese with *ultra*-pasteurized milk or
> cream.
> It won't behave the same way.

True. Not the same way, but not impossible to make cheese from it,
either. You just have to know your product.

Adamantius