[Sca-cooks] making Cheese at events

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Sun Jun 22 20:30:37 PDT 2003

We have been making cheese at events this year.  I find that it is somewhat
easier (and quicker)to do it over the fire than on our tired electric stove
(two small burners work well and the large one has a twisted sense of
humor - low doesn't always mean low).

We get our cow milk at the local food coop in glass bottles, which makes it
easy to transport. We also get fresh goat milk from the farm up the road -
also in glass jars.  It is really easy to add cheese making to your event
activities.

A few days  before an event, I get a couple of bottles, pour off some of the
milk and add either cultured buttermilk, some nancy's (local - well Eugene,
OR company) yogurt, or one of the cheese cultures from www.cheesemaking.com
(they have some great books and cultures). I let it sit out for the next day
or so, pack it in one of the kitchen boxes (not a cooler) and off we go to
the event.

In the morning after breakfast, I put the milk into a cauldron and heat it
up over the fire, to 180 or so, (I do use an insta read thermometer) add the
vinegar and let it work, then pour in to a cheese cloth lined bowl  or
cauldron if you want to make ricotta as well.  Then hang it from a handy
tree (or the table or the cooking tripod if trees are lacking). (about 30 or
so minutes invested in time, a little longer, if you have to explain to all
the visitors to camp what you are doing.) It usually drains by dinner time
and we have fresh cheese.....  We have found that we often have return
visitors, 'cos they want to taste the cheese.

I have found that I almost don't need a thermometer, the milk's texture and
smell changes noticably when it gets to the correct point.

We also have made ricotta, and renneted cheeses at events. It's easy, we are
stuck in camp (it is also our merchant booth) and is a great occupier of
curious kids and conversation starter "what is in that dripping bag hanging
from the tree?".....

Maeve