[Sca-cooks] Encyclopedia of Food and Culture was More references...

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jun 25 10:26:23 PDT 2003

Tracked this down--- here's a description---

Encyclopedia of Food and Culture.
Edited by Solomon H. Katz and William Woys Weaver.
3 vols. 2,004p. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons,
2003. 0-684-80568-5; 2002014607.

Note Price Folks----$395.

It's 3 volumes arranged--
1. Acceptance to Food politics --
v. 2. Food production to Nuts --
v. 3. Obesity to Zoroastrianism. Index.

There have been many food encyclopedias, but none like this one.
Most scholarly treatments of food have focused on the nutritional
value and manufacture of foodstuffs. Those topics are only incidental
to this grand survey of the food-ways of the world. While other
sources have taken a comparative approach to the food-related
behaviors of cultural groups, their arrangement is typically
geographical and nowhere near this scale. From aphrodisiacs,
chili peppers and food fads to snacks, vitamins and wine,
this set explores the common and peculiar uses, rituals and rules
surrounding food around the world. The 600 alphabetically arranged
entries were prepared by an international team of anthropologists,
historians and food experts. Surveys of world cuisines anchor this
study, with articles on selected areas being further subdivided.
For instance, the article on the United States features 12 regional and
ethnic cuisines and distinguishes not only southern and soul food, but
also Cajun, Midwest and New England cooking. Other entries
describe the history of staple crops, animals and beverages, as
well as iconic foods like barbecue, curry, pizza and hamburger.
>From aquaculture and organic farming to grilling and poaching,
production, preparation and storage methods are explained.
Coverage includes psychological, nutritional and biological aspects
of diet and eating, as well as religious and social influences.
>From the Roman Apicius to Julia Child, biographies and
historical surveys trace the development of food traditions and practices.
Hundreds of black-and-white and dozens of color illustrations
enhance this work of excellent scholarship. Selected bibliographies,
recommended daily allowances and the detailed index provide
further guidance to researchers and students.
This unique source will make an outstanding addition to both public
and academic libraries.
http://www.galegroup.com/free_resources/reference/lawrence/june.htm

This may not be the year for such a grand production. I don't know
of any library in the country that's not cutting the budget and postponing
 purchases. It does show up in some 300 plus libraries, mostly academic.
Check with your local academic library and ask if they are adding it to the
reference shelves.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Phlip wrote: June 13th
I had fwded Gene Anderson Devra's references about the Chinese vegetable
books, and he posted me this back. Anybody heard of/seen the Scribner's
Encyclopedia of Food? Looks like it might be interesting, if Gene was
contributing.