[Sca-cooks] dealing with cooks neurosis

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 06:28:33 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/26/2003 11:52:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jenne at fiedlerfamily.net writes:

> Anyway, at one point there was a spill in the kitchen and I sent
> the spiller to ask the someone to get me a few more bodies temporarily.
> The someone told me later that she felt that when she came into the
> kitchen at that I had 'lost control of the kitchen.'

Knowing the kitchen you were working in (assuming that it was at your shire's
last event), that site can be nothing but controlled chaos.  It's so tiny
that bumping into each other and spilling things is inevitable.  I hardly think
that having an accidental spill and needing help to get it cleaned up so you
can continue with your job of getting breakfast out is cause for criticism.
What makes me feel that a kitchen is a success?  Getting the food out on
time, hot, and well-prepared; having a sufficent vareity of offerings; having the
people eating be obviously pleased with the food.
Did you feel like you'd lost control?  I've been in kitchens that got out of
hand, and I've been in ones that look like they are out of hand but aren't.
Had your "someone" spent any time in or near the kitchen at any other point, or
did they simply walk in when you were trying to continue functioning while
moving around a spill in a very tight place, and judge based on that?
Personally, I think sending out for help rather than distracting your cooking
staff was an excellent decision.

Brangwayna