[Sca-cooks] Ahhh...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Jun 27 09:01:32 PDT 2003

On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 10:54  AM, Leah A. Montgomery wrote:

>> I'm a Saint-Germain man, myself... but what _we_ know doesn't really
>> change the truth of my statement... these people are clearly famous,
>> just not the first people you think of when the Inquiring
>> Photographer asks you on the street to name a philosopher. Unless
>> you're of a very unusual (and arguably deficient) mindset and
>> edumacashun. Now if one were asked to name an alchemist, it would be
>> different, and I wouldn't expect anybody to name Aristotle at the
>> head of that list, unless, well, see previous.
>>
>> Adamantius, Proud Pedant
>

> Ahhh...true, very true. BUT, you were talking about the Philosopher's
> Stone! Now if someone came up to me and asked me to name someone
> connected with the Philospher's Stone, I'd have to figure out which
> one I wanted to choose, Bacon, Magnus, or even St. Germain. (Another
> one that I learned about from fiction!)

Those are good books, aren't they? I mean, if you're going to do
sympathetic vampire, and certainly Dracula doesn't qualify unless one
is _extremely_ revisionist... it does answer many questions about the
extremely enigmatic, historical Saint-Germain (whose modern relevance
seems to be attached mainly to some very weird religions, nowadays).

However. I wasn't just talking about the Philosopher's Stone. I was
talking about the relevance of the term, "The Philosopher's Stone" to
the field of philosophers and philosophy, which is very little to none.
Which is why I thought American kids with their dubious educations
might be excused an ignorance of that particular, slightly silly,
factoid, and at least comprehend that a Sorceror's Stone is something
used by a Sorceror, versus the reality that The Philosopher's Stone is
in fact used by an alchemist, and not by a philosopher. At least not in
the most common definition of the word, "philosopher". So, I guess my
point, in a nutshell, is, what difference does it make if American kids
aren't up on the details of what is essentially a misnomer anyway, and
when it's quite easy to understand the substitute term which actually
makes more sense? (We'll leave out the obvious arguments about sorcery
versus alchemy; I'm sure these terms were created by editors anyway.)

Oh, and Saint-Germain is credited with, among other things, having
contributed to the development of the modern sweet pea, hence the
potage that bears his name.

OFC and all...

Adamantius