[Sca-cooks] Summer is Here

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 28 09:19:38 PDT 2003

Here is my list of easy period foods that can be had just as easily as
picking up that container of awful cole-slaw - if you're going to pick
something up at the grocery store, why not pick up something period (oid)?
I find this helpful to post right before a Baronial pot-luck or day-time
gathering.
Christianna

>cold sliced deli meats, chicken, ham, roast beef, salami, sausages
>(keilbassa type), chunks o' ham, roasted chickens, canned smoked
oysters,clams, sardines, lox

>dijon style mustard, stone ground mustard, onion relish
>horseradish sauce
>
>sliced cheeses, cheese spreads (herbed and peppered), feta, blue,
>cheddar, brie, riccotta, swiss
>
>asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, cucumber, mushrooms,
>radishes (red and white), scallions - maybe a quick veggie platter?
>
>oranges, blood oranges, peaches, pears, apples (not Delicious, Pink Lady is
close to a period variety), apricots, cherries, grapes, watermelon,
(cantelope & honeydew aren't exactly
>period, but close to period varieties), figs, plums, quince,
pomegranate, berries (strawberries, blueberries)
>Any of these as dried fruits, plus dates, raisins, currants,
prunes, almonds, walnuts, chestnuts