[Sca-cooks] Food items?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Jun 28 21:16:53 PDT 2003

On Saturday, June 28, 2003, at 05:00  PM, Kirsten Houseknecht wrote:

> the courthouse in Philadelphia is also right on the edge of our
> Chinatown..
> good food there!

I recall that being the case. But the last time I was in Philadelphia,
most of Chinatown was contained on three (or so) blocks of one street,
and slightly less of another, parallel, street.

New York's Chinatown (only the oldest and first of, now, four New York
neighborhoods bearing that name) is about five times that size, at
least.

I was in one of Queens' _two_ Chinatowns (in Flushing) this evening.

But the one AEllin is talking about (especially the part where the
Courthouse is located) is also interesting for being on the edge of
Columbus Park, which is in turn the site of Freshwater Pond, a.k.a. The
Collect, later the focus of the Five Points and Paradise Square, a
neighborhood where there are still active archaeological digs going on,
and the setting for a fairly silly movie called "The Gangs of New York"
(as well as a 1928 nonfiction book of the same name, bearing virtually
no resemblance to the -- charitably, fictional --  movie).

Adamantius, who occasionally thinks of doing Plug Ugly and Bowery B'hoy
Living History*

*Seriously. Learn and teach about your country's history. Dress up in
funny clothes, fight a gang war, and then hang out in a music hall
having steaks, oysters, and beer. How many SCAdians wouldn't enjoy this?