[Sca-cooks] feathered emergencies

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Jun 29 14:22:28 PDT 2003

On Sunday, June 29, 2003, at 05:12  PM, Some Dood wrote:

> Um. Labneh in Oil? I'm really not sure. As I recall whenever I buy it
> the label uses non-Roman characters I have no hope of reading. It'll
> be a quart jar, maybe a little smaller, of what look like those little
> mozzarella boconcini rolled in crushed dried herbs (usually, but not
> always, mint; it depends what part of the Mediterranean coast we're
> thinking from -- thyme and rosemary are also good if you can find
> them, but that's more a French and less of a ME thang), submerged in
> olive oil.
>
> It _is_ labneh, IOW, goats-milk yogurt, drained until as thick as
> cream cheese, lightly salted. Relatively easy to make. The trick is to
> make sure to use goat's milk yogurt (probably Bulgarian culture), and
> never cow's milk, because cow's milk labneh will simply dissolve in
> the oil, even if you do succeed in rolling it into balls. Which most
> people don't ;-).
>
> I usually find the stuff in jars in the unrefrigerated grocery
> section, usually plain or with herbs are both represented on the
> shelves, alongside the cans of fake dolmades, stuffed eggplants,
> pickles in jars and cans, etc.
>
> Adamantius

See

http://www.wagri.com/ProductDetails.asp?CatID=39

for the name, photo, and even an opportunity to order, this product.
They're calling it "labna in oil" on this particular site. I can't tell
if this is the plain kind or the kind with mint. I suppose one could
always add one's own mint if necessary...

Adamantius