[Sca-cooks] feathered emergencies

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sun Jun 29 14:12:57 PDT 2003

On Sunday, June 29, 2003, at 02:30  PM, Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
> <adamantius at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> You might try the goat-cheese balls rolled in
>> mint and stored in olive
>> oil. I'm not sure what the season for that item
>> is, though. I believe
>> even the really good ME markets only carry it
>> at certain times of the
>> year.
>>
>> Adamantius
>
> Yum!  Do you recall the name of this?  I just
> don't want to go into a ME market asking for
> "goat-cheese balls rolled in mint and stored in
> olive oil".

Um. Labneh in Oil? I'm really not sure. As I recall whenever I buy it
the label uses non-Roman characters I have no hope of reading. It'll be
a quart jar, maybe a little smaller, of what look like those little
mozzarella boconcini rolled in crushed dried herbs (usually, but not
always, mint; it depends what part of the Mediterranean coast we're
thinking from -- thyme and rosemary are also good if you can find them,
but that's more a French and less of a ME thang), submerged in olive
oil.

It _is_ labneh, IOW, goats-milk yogurt, drained until as thick as cream
cheese, lightly salted. Relatively easy to make. The trick is to make
sure to use goat's milk yogurt (probably Bulgarian culture), and never
cow's milk, because cow's milk labneh will simply dissolve in the oil,
even if you do succeed in rolling it into balls. Which most people
don't ;-).

I usually find the stuff in jars in the unrefrigerated grocery section,
usually plain or with herbs are both represented on the shelves,
alongside the cans of fake dolmades, stuffed eggplants, pickles in jars
and cans, etc.

Adamantius