[Sca-cooks]2 - medieval herb garden

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 04:34:46 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/29/2003 11:19:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

> So, what is the advantage of having the beds raised? And how high do
> you mean when you say "raised"? Do you mean a single landscaping timber
> or enough stacked up to put the bed a foot or more above the natural
> ground level?

Raised beds are nice for a couple of reasons - they are easier to harvest and
weed, as you don't have to get down to the ground, and the ground never gets
compacted from being walked on.  They should be made no more than 3 or 4 feet
wide so you can reach into the center easily (a fact I knew but ignored when
we designed the 6 foot sqaure beds we set up in an area of the backyard, so I
now have a stepping stone in the middle of each bed so I can reach things).
You can also put a strip of copper sheeting around the outside to keep slugs
from crawling in.
As far as how high, that's up to you,  Ours are on a sloped part of the
ground, and we're using the beds to level it, so one end is about 8 inches high and
the other about 18.  I put the high-growing plants on the uphill side and the
low plants on the downhill side; that way they are easier to reach.

Brangwayna