[Sca-cooks] Pennsic bread suggestion

Lisa Kuney lkuney at ec.rr.com
Mon Mar 3 07:50:43 PST 2003

While probably not very period, when camping I always make biscuits.  I
make the dough a little "looser" than normal, and drop by spoonfuls into
a hot skillet (bacon grease is the yummiest).  Brown, turn, brown on the
other side, and chow down.  I am told that my grandmother (a good
southern woman) occasionally made these on a busy day when rolling and
cutting dough wasn't in the schedule, and my grandfather despised them.
 He called them "sh*t biscuits" because they reminded him of what lay
out in the pasture.  They aren't pretty, but they taste fine...<g>.

Halima al-Shafi'i
Stronghold of Ravens Cove