[Sca-cooks] Digby's Pear-Puddings (long - w/pix)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 3 09:11:50 PST 2003

Bethra Spicewell wrote:

> Greetings, all
>
>   Our Barony is holding a small event in early April, with
> the theme of "April's Foole"

Some friends of mine are planning a Fool-themed tourney in August.
Only a real fool would celebrate All Fools Day in August!

> The feast will be loosely
> based around illusion food.
>  The Head Cook asked me to be on her team, and what could I
> suggest.  I chose Digby's Pear-Puddings.  I'm looking into
> a reddish sauce to serve them with, as an illusion of pears
> in red wine.   There will also be cold meatloaf "boar's
> heads" and a viking ship made of dough.

My favorite cook's jape was committed once upon a Twelfth Night.
I made a pie-dough boar's head, concealing yummy mince meat within,
cooked in a separate jar.  The compartment was topped with a
pastry Crown on top of the Boar's Head.  I took this confection
up to the head table, exhorting the King to "de-crown the usurper" and
begin the final course, which he did with gusto and started ladeling
himself some mincemeat.  Whereupon I did announce to the populace:
"I have an announcement for the populace:
The King Has The Brains Of A Pig."
King Guy looked at me.  I looked at him.  I announced further:
"I have an amendment to the previous announcement:
The King Has NOT Got The Brains Of A Pig."
Another mutual look.
"I'm Leaving Now" and a hasty retreat, giggling maniacally all the way.

Only try this if the king [or whatever ruling noble is your "straight
man"] is a good friend, or at least has a good sense of humor and will
play along.

Selene Colfox