Vigil foods (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Quail eggs

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 04:35:46 PST 2003

 ***Brighid wrote:This is a possibility that I may be catering (or helping to
cater) a peerage vigil.  I've never done this before, nor have I ever
attended a vigil, so I'm a little hazy on the whole setup.  I know that
finger-foods and nibblies are
preferable, but I have other questions.  How many different dishes are usual?

And are basics like fruits, nuts, and cheeses generally served, or is it
better
to stay away from them in favor of more interesting foods?***

Basically it is our job to provide the food and stay out of the way of the
vigil goers (like a catering service)

I have done a couple, so I can help out here.

Basic nibbles are best. Small portions  (like tartlets) work. Keep everything
bite sized. Cheeses, nuts, and, etc., are good.

Try to find out what the recipients likes are, including allergies, (from
friends) and tailor it to fit that person. The last one I did, I found out
her heraldic colors and decorated the table accordingly. Some people like
period foods, some do not.  Try to bring a least a few to the table.

Don't do soups or stews. Little cakes or wafers work well. Keep it balanced
between sweets and savories. If offering fruit, use berries or grapes-keep
things small. Some people will come to the table without utensils. Have some
things available for them. I also recommend something to clean hands as well.

I have seen breads, breadsticks, savory tartlets, mini pies, pretzels,
berries, grapes, gingerbread (the proper kind), marzipan, cheeses, a
multitude of nuts, sausages, sliced meats (suggest shelf stability), carrots
and other veggies.

I use vigils as a teaching venue if possible. (Yes, it's pretty and tasty,
and guess what? From an actual medieval source!)

Provide something to drink, it is very needed. Water at the very least.

Have a table that can stand on it's own for an hour or two, with minimum
stocking.

** Most important. Make sure the "new Peer" gets some food and drink. They
are often pinned in one spot for an hour or more and don't get to sample the
table.

Andrea MacIntyre