[Sca-cooks] Re: Vigil foods

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 12 07:17:19 PST 2003

Greetings,

> ***Brighid wrote:This is a possibility that I may be catering (or helping to
> cater) a peerage vigil.  I've never done this before, nor have I ever
> attended a vigil, so I'm a little hazy on the whole setup.  I know that
> finger-foods and nibblies are
> preferable, but I have other questions.  How many different dishes are usual?

> Andrea replied> I have seen breads, breadsticks, savory tartlets, mini pies, pretzels,
> berries, grapes, gingerbread (the proper kind), marzipan, cheeses, a
> multitude of nuts, sausages, sliced meats (suggest shelf stability), carrots
> and other veggies.

I have not ever been in charge of a Vigil food wise, but I have assisted in preparing several. One thing that went very
well at one THL Temhair Carr planned was bite sized gobbets of meat served with multiple different sauces. THL Temhair
has done extensive research into humors and said that the variety of sauces would allow the guests to top the meat to
meet their own specific humoral needs according to their physicians reccomendation. ;) The meats were kept warm in
chafing dishes.

Also kept warm in a chafing dish was Digby's Savory Toasted Cheese served with asparagus and bread. The guests could
assemble the cheese, bread and veggie in any manner they desired. The Consort hovered in that area until the Sauce was
completely exhausted.

Best of Luck,
Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva