[Sca-cooks] Danish meatballs

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 19 18:43:17 PST 2003

Brighid ni Chiarain replied to me, giving her Danish meatball redaction:
>> Is this a period style/recipe? If so, recipe please.
>
> Slightly post-period.  It's from the 1616 Danish cookbook that I mentioned recently.
> http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/cooking/1616.html
>
> The particular recipe is:
>
> XLIX. Balls or skinless sausages.
> Finely chop fillet of beef. Add egg with salt, pepper, ginger, saffron if you want. Mix this and make them round. Then put them in clean seething water that they seeth well in there, and serve them up with the same broth.
> Translation by Maggie Forest (HL Marienna Jensdatter of Caid)
>
> To one pound of ground beef, I added one egg,  1/2 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp ground ginger, and salt to taste (about 2/3 tsp).  Mix well and roll into little balls.  I used a one-tablespoon cookie scoop.  Cook in boiling water for 5 minutes.  I've been using a pasta pot, so that I can quickly drain one batch of meatballs, then put another in.
>
> I took some of the water that had been used to cook several batches of meatballs, strained it through a paper coffee filter, and froze it to use as broth.  I don't want to make meatball soup -- just to have some liquid in the bottom of the pan to keep the meatballs moist.
>
> This redaction is rather mildly spiced.  On another occasion I might try using more pepper and ginger.

Thank you. This sounds like a simple recipe. I'll have to try it. It seems
like it would make a good dish for a pot luck, SCA or not. Although it sounds
like without roasting the meat, it would be rather grayish and that might not
go over well. Thanks for the warning on the mildness. I will see about adding
a bit more spices.

I must have missed your earlier message on this Danish cookbook, at least I don't see it in my fd-Denmark-msg holding file.

Does anyone have any other good leads on period Danish foods or recipes? Since
I have only two messages in this file, it is still a bit small to put into the
Florilegium. :-)

Or maybe there are enough "meatball" recipes to create a file of those. Aren't
there some period recipes that call for endored meatballs or some such?
Probably not a fingerfood in that case, though.

Stefan
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas         StefanliRous at austin.rr.com