[Sca-cooks] Danish meatballs

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 19:04:27 PST 2003

On 19 Mar 2003, at 20:43, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Brighid ni Chiarain replied to me, giving her Danish meatball redaction:
> >> Is this a period style/recipe? If so, recipe please.
> >
> > Slightly post-period.  It's from the 1616 Danish cookbook that I mentioned
> > recently. http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/cooking/1616.html
> >
> > The particular recipe is:
> >
> > XLIX. Balls or skinless sausages.
> > Finely chop fillet of beef. Add egg with salt, pepper, ginger, saffron if you
> > want. Mix this and make them round. Then put them in clean seething water that
> > they seeth well in there, and serve them up with the same broth. Translation
> > by Maggie Forest (HL Marienna Jensdatter of Caid)

> Thank you. This sounds like a simple recipe. I'll have to try it. It seems
> like it would make a good dish for a pot luck, SCA or not. Although it sounds
> like without roasting the meat, it would be rather grayish and that might not go
> over well.

If you add the optional saffron, they would be yellowish.  Would that go over
better?  :-)

> Thanks for the warning on the mildness. I will see about adding a bit
> more spices.

I personally would like the spicing a little stronger, but I want these to appeal
to the widest possible audience.

> Does anyone have any other good leads on period Danish foods or recipes? Since I
> have only two messages in this file, it is still a bit small to put into the
> Florilegium. :-)

According to the translator's website, this is the earliest published Danish
cookbook.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net