[Sca-cooks] Coronation feast.

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 24 09:06:33 PST 2003

>Hey!  I've got a brand new ring burner, a knife, and a couple really big
>pots!  Want help?  hehe
>Olwen

Trust me, I need all the help I can get. Although things
are looking up. I have a gentleman in the Barony who is
donating his "2-Car Garage" tent along with a couple of
ring burners. And some prep tables. I'll have an electrical
outlet and a spigot. Also a huge bbq grill. Most of the things
I'm making can be prepared in stock pots or over flame.

Their Highnesses have requested German dishes and specifically
asked for spaetzel and strudel.

I also have about two hours to get feast served and finished
because they are having feast between step-down and coronation.

I've gone away from my usual method of making each course a complete
mini meal and am doing a more commonly modern structure. But still
have some elements of period practices. Such as a hearty first course.
No cheese and honey butter on the tables. I may have a nice bread
on the table to be served with the first course, I'm not sure yet.

Here is my tentative menu, based on what ingredients I can get and
budget factors.

First Course:

A Pottage.
Oatmeal, greens, herbs, spices, onions stewed together with lamb.
The lamb is removed, cleaned of gunk, then sliced and served on the
side.

For non-lamb/meat eaters I will be making the same dish but using
vegetable broth and stewing portabella mushrooms to be served to
the side.

Second Course:

Sicilian Grilled Steaks.
Very simply dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and a bit of salt
and pepper.

Topped with Sauce Aliper "gravy".
A basic garlic/pepper sauce thinned a bit with beef stock and wine
so it's a little more runny.

Spaetzel.
At the request of His Highness. The steak and gravy will be served
on top.

Sautee'd Asparagus.
Sautee'd in butter.

Raw red cabbage and cucumber in a period sweet/sour vinegarette.

Crepe "bags" with mushroom/leek duxelles.
Okay, not period, but fun and a neat presentation.

Chicken with Quince.
Period recipe of chicken stewed with quinces. If I can't find
quince I'll probably use bosc pears.

Dessert Course

Apple Strudel with whipped cream
At the request of Their Highnesses.

Wafres with sugar and cinnamon.

Either a Creme Boyled or a custard with fruit.

That's it for right now. I'm sure it will change a bit as
I fudge with recipes/budget/cooking facilities.

There are a couple of fantastic cooks who have offered their
services and some very good help as well. I think it will
go off okay.

This should cater to carnivores and non-meat eaters alike.
If a vegetarian wishes a bit more to eat I can toss the
spaetzel with a bit of butter, parsley, parmesian cheese,
salt and pepper for more filler.

If anyone can think of a nice period filling similar to the
duxelles I'll be happy to consider it. I haven't researched
it much right now.

Yers,

Gunthar